Monday, January 27, 2014

"But Acupuncture Hurts"


Source: CartoonStock.com

I'm often asked what I do for a living and when I respond that I'm an acupuncture student, I get a lot of reactions about acupuncture being painful. One of the arguments I hear many times over is that acupuncture treats pain by using the distraction method. This method is used to cause pain at a separate area to "distract" the patient from feeling pain at the original site.

This is completely untrue for at least two reasons:
1. Acupuncture doesn't hurt. More appropriately, it shouldn't hurt. Due to this fact, the distraction method already is dis-proven.
2. There is scientific evidence all over the medical community using functional MRIs that prove, not only is acupuncture effective in treating pain, but we are learning exactly how acupuncture is working to treat pain.

If you suffer from pain, see an acupuncturist for a treatment course before turning to pharmaceuticals or surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment